Hi everyone, I am back with my final Italian sausage recipe for the week. I recently went to Olive Garden for a work luncheon and I ordered the soup/salad/bread sticks…my usual at Olive Garden. Well it was quite busy on this particular day and they literally ran out of food. They were rationing out the parmesan cheese. Anyway, when my soup arrived, it was “soupy.” I love a hearty soup so I was a bit disappointed at how barren my bowl was. I vowed to make a hearty soup when I got home. Originally I wanted to mimic Olive Garden’s Soup but when I got home, I realized I did not have any chicken broth. So, instead, I made a beef broth based soup which turned out just as good.
This recipe ended up being great. It was quick and easy for a weeknight meal. I wasn’t sure if the kids were going to eat it but they did. My oldest did a visual inspection for beans. When she didn’t see any, she decided it was safe to eat.
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 Tablespoon italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb of Italian Sausage
- 9 ounce refrigerated tortellini
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 large zucchini
- In a skillet set over medium-high, cook the sausage until browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked sausage to a paper towel lined plate to drain; set aside.
- In a pot over medium heat, heat up the butter. Add onion, garlic and zucchini and cook until tender. Add flour and stir. Gradually add broth and stir. Add diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the Italian sausage, tortellini, and spinach. Let simmer for 10 minutes to thicken up and for the tortellini to cook. Garnish with cheese.
Watch this quick video for more!