This is another easy turkey meal that took 30 minutes to prepare. I cooked the turkey before I left for work this morning and stored it in the fridge.
I also pre-cut mangoes and avocados just in case I was short on time. I already had some salsa from last week and I splurged and bought pre-cut tomatoes 🍅.
When I got home from work I was easily able to pull everything out of the fridge and start cooking. My only issue was keeping the kids out of my mangoes. I managed to save enough to salvage the recipe.
I added the mangoes to my salsa and set it aside. Next, I combined the ground beef, beans, cheese, olives and tomato in a baking dish. I put the mixture in the oven and let the cheese melt over everything for about 15 minutes. The fun part of this recipe was making the nachos. Sure you can buy nachos at the store but these taste so much better. I added cumin to the pita bread for extra flavor. I’m sure an Italian seasoning or cinnamon sugar (for the kiddos) would work well too.
I pulled the nachos and dip out of the oven and it was perfect. I garnished it with the last bit of cilantro I had left over from last week. I always try to find ways to incorporate cilantro so it doesn’t go to waste.
This was such a fun and timely recipe. The Super Bowl is coming up and I think I’ll do a repeat of this recipe to add to the festivities.
1 ripe mango
16 oz fresh salsa
3 tbsp. fresh cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ tsp salt
6 piece reduced-carb whole wheat pita bread
nonstick cooking spray
2 tsp cumin
½ lb ground turkey
1 can low-sodium black beans
2 cup shredded cheese
2 oz olives
1 diced tomato
1. To prepare the salsa, in a mixing bowl combine the mango, cilantro, lemon juice and salt. Set aside.
2. To prepare the nachos, preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Cut pita bread into triangles or other fun shapes.
3. Arrange the pita triangles in a single layer on two baking sheets. Lightly spray the pita with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with cumin. Bake until very lightly crisp, about 5 minutes.
4. Cook the ground turkey in a nonstick pan until cooked through. Set it aside.
5. Layer the turkey, black beans, tomatoes and olives on top of the toasted pita chips and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese is melted.
6. To serve: Put the nachos on a serving platter and top with sliced avocado, salsa and cilantro. You have the option to add sour cream.